Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Moist Sponge Cake with Chocolate Ganache

So I started with the traditional French sponge cake, which I learned has a dry texture. The next recipe in the baking book was for a moist sponge cake which was MUCH better and so delicious! Rather than making a round cake, I decided to make a sheet cake and turn it into a roll-cake. I didn't have the right size pan, but tried it anyway and for the most part it worked! If I would have had an 11X17 pan, the cake would have been thinner and would have been easier to roll.  You can really make any kind of frosting for this type of cake, but I went with a bittersweet chocolate ganache. It was really yummy and paired perfectly with vanilla ice cream. I like the "roll" because you get a little frosting in every bite, but if I make the roll style again, I need to make it look prettier! Also,  if I were to make this again, I would make the ganache with semi-sweet chocolate. 

1 comment:

  1. This officially qualified as a "breakfast dessert." That means that I ate it for dessert at night and then I had some again for breakfast. I agree that semi-sweet chocolate is probably more up my alley, but who can turn down a rolled up slice of cake and chocolate?

    ReplyDelete