Tuesday, September 7, 2010

French Sponge Cake with Strawberry Buttercream

For this project, I decided to work from two cook books; Le Courdon Bleu Dessert Techniques and Baking, by James Peterson.  LCB is more gourmet and has recipes and techniques for everything from sugaring fruit to making Christmas fruit pudding (takes 6 hours) to making those pretty chocolate decorations such as swans or butterflies.  While I find learning those techniques important, I also want to make things that people want to eat! The Baking book is filled with techniques, but has an assortment of recipes that look so good. I have been using both books together and have had a great first week!

I started with the French Sponge Cake (easy to make- only 4 ingredients) and topped it with a strawberry buttercream. Using real strawberries is the key to a delicious strawberry frosting.
Over all it was good, but I learned that the "traditional" sponge cake is dry.  Why anyone would want a dry cake is unknown to me, so I probably won't be making this one again.

1 comment:

  1. As the taster here, I will say that this one probably sounded a little better than it tasted. Not that it was bad, but dry sponge cake? Could I have eaten the entire bowl of the fresh buttercream frosting? Yes. I prefer a lighter, more moist sponge cake.

    ReplyDelete