Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mini Boston Cream Pies

This project was all about learning how to make several paper-thin layers of cake.  This is accomplished by piping round disks onto cookie sheets. Rather than make a standard size cake, I decided to go with minis!  The cake is filled with vanilla pastry cream and the top is chocolate ganache.  I also had some left-over peanut butter butter cream, so I added that on to a couple of the layers too.  Now that I know how to use this technique, I want to make a 10-12 inch layer cake with multiple layers of cake and frosting!

1 comment:

  1. I love Boston Cream Pie, and I like little desserts (if I can eat a few of them). I'll be honest that these were good for a test run, but need to be tweaked before we sell them at Christina's still mythical bakery.

    Now I'm not the expert and Christina didn't really go into detail on this one, but making the small cakes is hard. She's been trying out different variations of her recipes to get the small cakes, but keep a desired moisture and fluffiness. In this round, the cake part just didn't live up to the taste of the filling and the topping. That said, I still ate quite a few (a few too many maybe).

    ReplyDelete