Sunday, October 17, 2010

Maple Whoopie Pie w/ Caramel Frosting

I've been in the mood to make a "fall dessert," so this maple/caramel delight fit the bill.  Normally, I try to make everything from scratch so that I can practice baking and get as much experience under my belt as possible, but I received a mix as a gift, so I figured I'd better put it to good use. It just wouldn't be fair not to make it, right?
The mix was for maple cookies with vanilla cream frosting, but the box frosting was awful and didn't really add anything to the flavor of the cookies, so I ended up making a caramel frosting instead. 
I have a problem with cookies because I always...ALWAYS make them too big.  No matter how much I try to reduce the amount of batter placed on the cookie sheet, they always come out 3 or 4 inches wide.

These were some monster whoopie pies!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe I had never had a whoopie pie until I met Christina. Its not like they are this rare, odd or bizarre food (my reason for not trying sushi until I met Christina). I've now tried my fair share of whoopie pies, both store bought and homemade and I must say, these were probably the best.

    I'm not a huge maple fan, but these were the prefect blend of lightly sweet cake and lightly sweet frosting. Combined, they complimented each other, they didn't fight for the title of "best use of the most sugar in a dessert" that some desserts are guilty of.

    All in all, the homemade filling was a perfect addition (I tried the original and it really didn't add anything to the taste). I'm hoping that Christina can come up with a recipe of her own for these because I would definitely ask for them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the sugar cream pie?

    ReplyDelete